Monday 31 July 2006

Celestia Space Simulation

I discovered this little Open Source Software Gem yesterday. Celestia is a free space simulation that lets you explore space from the solar system to over 10,000 stars, or even beyond the galaxy.

I downloaded it last night, half expecting it not to work, or be somewhat slow and clunky. No, I was not disappointed, this is a great piece of educational/entertainment software. And it's free!

The best thing about it is the Add Ons, so that once you're bored with stars, galaxies, planets moons, asteroids, comets and run-of-the mill spacecraft you can add more exotic spacecraft from 2001 a space odyssey, Star Wars, Babylon 5, Star Trek and others.

There's even a "War of the Worlds" add on feature, so that you can simulate a Martian invasion of Earth to Jeff Waynes soundtrack. I'll be trying this one later.

Ulah!

6 comments:

Kim Knox said...

Yes, *of course* this is all educational research for Frodo and Samwise.

Of course it is.

Yup

impwork said...

Sounds good. I'll have to give it a try tonight.

Anonymous said...

This looks good. Downloaded it & off to install it now. Wish I'd seen this entry earlier in the day.

darkdwarf said...

Having space cadet trouble with the navigational controls, but finally getting somewhere. Thought that I'd start with something basic, so I loaded up the Death Star. Couldn't find the b***er anywhere to start with, nor could I locate Endor or Tattooine - then I spotted the tip that said to go and look for it in the Rho CRb Solar System. Found a billiard ball of an Evil Space Station with a single trench orbiting an Earth like planet. Yawn - have to save the rest of the Universe for another day...

darkdwarf said...

cha0tic, it's a good job that I didn't also tell you about the other piece of Open Source software that I've found (but haven't had time to try out for myself yet), otherwise you'd have never gone to bed. You did get to go to sleep last night didn't you?

"The Battle for Wesnoth" is a free, fantasy based strategy game. More details at:
http://www.wesnoth.org/

Anonymous said...

Yeah had trouble with navigation myself & then had a look at the scripting thing. Looks like even I might be able to do that as I managed to write some stuff for Google Earth. Maybe I should RTFM
Hmm, will leave wesnoth for another day. I might just download it though, ready for that day... :)