Thursday 13 July 2006

Firefoxed

I've been beavering away at sorting out Novelist Supermum's Website so that it works in both Internet Explorer and Firefox.

It was originally developed in IE only (since restrictions at work mean that I can't download other browsers). Later I discovered that the W3C standards compliant Firefox doesn't measure
's (i.e. boxes) in the same way as IE - thus throwing all the sections on the page out.

Finally got a result that works at quarter past midnight - it's only taken a year to get this far! I've learnt a lot about Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) on the way, by trial and error (mostly by error). HTML/CSS Reference book supplied by the good old Oxfam shop at the end of Penny Lane.

Thanks to impworks for all of his advice, some of which I've taken on board and some of which I've completely ignored!

Novelist Supermum is happy with the Navbar as it is, so I haven't bothered messing with the resizable images - which get more jagged as they grow in size.

My next step will be to carry out any tidy ups, or additions to the text that may be wanted - then try it out in a few other browsers. IE and Firefox were the most important ones as we're getting the most hits from these.

No comments: