Thursday 31 August 2006

Hadrian's Wall

Novelist Supermum came back from a shopping expedition in town with a few new books - she'd also bought me an Osprey book on Hadrian's Wall today.
Osprey do those thin paperback books on military uniforms . This one is about the History and Archaeology on Hadrian's Wall.

This is an area that I've long had an interest in, since I grew up about quarter of a mile north of "The Waall", and my school was built on top of, or is very close to Milecastle 13. One of my best 'O' levels was a grade 'A' in "The History and Archaeology of Roman Britain" - most other schools did Greek Archaeology at the time, however we had some very good teachers who didn't want to waste the historical resources that were literally on our doorstep.

The book is a relatively new publication, and has new illustrations by a couple of Italian Artists - rather than the usual colour plates by an artist who's name I 've forgotten, but a quick search on Google reveals that I'm thinking of the late "Ronald Embleton" (now there's a fine Northumbrian surname).

Here's one of Ronald Embleton's classic pictures of Romans wiping their bum's with publicly shared sponges on sticks

1 comment:

impwork said...

I was trying to work out what was wrong with the picture. Took me a minute. There are men in a public toilet talking to each other.