Tuesday 8 August 2006

Liverpool Pyramid

Stepbro' and his family are visiting this afternoon, so I'm taking the afternoon off work. They have an appointment for their daughter on Rodney Street (this is the Harley Street of Liverpool).
It's the first time that he's visited Liverpool so I've told him that Rodney Street is the area where they filmed some of the last series of Sherlock Holmes. (I believe that they may have used cha0tic's front lobby too, which is in another town).
I've also told him to look out for the pyramid that is on Rodney Street. He doesn't believe me, but there is one there. I think it's fab.






I always presumed that it was the tomb of an archaeologist, since it looks very like the mud brick pyramid builders tombs we saw at Deir el-Medina in Egypt. Google tells me that the tomb belongs to W. Mackenzie, a real gambler, who wanted to be buried upright at a card table holding the winning hand. So they built him a pyramid grave!

But I digress. Of course this visit by Stepbro' meant that most of Sunday night, and last night was spent scrubbing, cleaning and tidying. We tend to clean the house once every visitor, so you can tell how popular we are by examining the level of mess.

4 comments:

Kim Knox said...

So's there's a bloke in there *standing up*?? LMAO

darkdwarf said...

He might be sitting down at the card table.

There's a lot of fanciful variations on how and why he's buried.

I like this one from city portal liverpool, (and it's much shorter than the usual unconfirmable stuff from local supernatural "expert" Tom Slemen

"Haunted by the ghost of William McKenzie, a wealthy Victorian railway engineer who, it is said, lost his soul to the Devil following a game of poker. Prior to his death McKenzie reasoned that if his body was not buried within the gound, the Devil could not claim his soul. he therefore constructed a hugh pyramid which stands in the middle of St Andrew's Churchyard on the corner of Rodney and Maryland Street"

impwork said...

I'd forgoten the pyramid but it's just what I needed for the story I'm working on :-)

Anonymous said...

Yeah they used the Hall, The Front & one of the rooms in a house I used to live in for "The Adventure of Wisteria Lodge".
The weird thing was they used another building about 5 miles away for one of the other rooms in the house.
So Holmes & Watson walk in the front door of our old house, turn appear to enter a room & are suddenly in a room that doesn't exist in that house. Ahh the magic of Television.