Friday 18 August 2006

First Cycle Accident

One of the advantages of my Study day and "working from home" yesterday was that I got to take the Hobbits out to the park first thing in the morning.
(I did do some studying for a few hours in the afternoon when they were knackered and resting upstairs).

I was pushing Samwise along on his trike, using the "parent handle" and Frodo was ahead of me pedalling furiously on his shiny 2-wheeler pro-bike, with stabilisers, when he came to a steep hill.

He decided to tackle the hill, so down the hill he went. I shouted to two old ladies, who were on the crest of the hill to stop him, but they either didn't hear, or didn't understand, and parted to let him through.

He would have been all right, charging off the path and onto a grassy bit, where he would have probably fallen off at speed - he hasn't learnt how to use the brakes yet.

Unfortunately the park rangers have staked a few wooden posts into the soil to act as route markers for nature trails.

Frodo lost control as he hit the grass, and the nearest wooden post acted as a small-boy-on-bike magnet.

KERRASSSHHH!

By the time I'd parked Samwise and got to Frodo the accident was over. Frodo had picked himself up, he wasn't crying but looked rather shocked, and winded.

I think that the bike took most of the force. Judging by the scrapes and bruising Frodo hit the handlebars or post with his chest and top of his leg.
I don't think that he'd hit his head at all - he does wear a bike helmet, just in case.

When I got to him he started crying and wanted a cuddle. When I looked at him he asked if he could "go to hospital". I must have had the sort of look on my face that is usually followed by a visit to Alder Hey.

The old ladies just said "Oh Dear" and walked past.

5 minutes of cuddling, a check over for any obvious injuries, and a post-accident wee against a tree and he was all sorted. I expected that he would want to walk, but the brave lad climbed back on the bike and started pedalling again (I didn't make him, he wanted to carry on).

So a first for Frodo - a cycle accident. Hopefully it hasn't put him off. On the next cycling trip he'll be having braking (hopefully not breaking) lessons.

Oh, and the bike was OK. Not a mark on it and nothing bent.

2 comments:

Kim Knox said...

Frodo's bike doesn't have that many flames on it, though...

darkdwarf said...

OK, so the pic is the 2004 model. The 2005 model doesn't have the flame logo padding on the crossbar, and has yellow wheeltrims and handles but it's pretty much the same bike.