Monday 7 August 2006

Barney Bodger 2

That wet-n-fix stuff really worked!

(See previous post on hole drilling/wall fixing/shelving disaster).

I just wet a pad and wrapped it around the wall plug, then inserted it into the hole that I'd drilled that is too big. Admittedly oversized hole number 1 took 3 pads, and super oversized hole number 2 took 8 pads.
Both set solid in 5 minutes and the shelf bracket screwed on nice and securely.

Learning my lesson for the remaining 16 holes that I had to drill I started off by deliberately using an undersized drill bit. This got the hole through the plaster and accurately into the brick without going off kilter.

I then resized the hole with the drill bit of the correct sized.

Only one hole went slightly oversized, and I correct this with a single pad of wet-n-fix

Three rows of shelves, two shelves per row, with a little bit of sawing to cut each corner wall shelf to size only took me 7 hours to complete! (Novelist Supermum) will tell you that's a quick job for me).

I'm pleased with the result. Novelist Supermum has already loaded the shelves up with boxes of our junk, and they appear to be taking the weight.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A warning about badly erected shelves:
http://www.weebl.jolt.co.uk/upgrade.htm

darkdwarf said...

B**g**r I'll have to take that bath off the top shelf now :-)