Friday 1 September 2006

Battle for Wesnoth

Just downloaded the Open Source (i.e. freeware) game Battle for Wesnoth and tried out the tutorial / introductory game.

Quite a good turn based, hex map strategy game. Got to grips with it fairly quickly and defeated the Orcs in a cross-river battle with my elvish recruits within an hour or so. Thoroughly enjoyed myself.

Nice little touches, such as Orcs get more powerful at night, and elves are stronger during the day (hint - don't try to defeat the Orc leader at night).

I'll have to try one of the beginners campaigns when I've got an hour or two to spare.

I took a risk and downloaded the unstable beta release, rather than the stable release. No problems until I saved and tried to run a replay of the game that I'd just completed. 'File is corrupt' messages appeared now and again, although the replay continued OK.

Guess that the stable version is a safer bet. Apart from this I didn't experience any problems with the actual gameplay.

No comments: