Friday 5 January 2007

Farewell Odin

Odin got steadily worse throughout the day today.

He was feeding a little, but gradually lost control of his ability to swim, so kept on adopting a position reminiscent of Shrek's goldfish. I kept on adding small amounts of food at appropriate intervals and noted that he was swallowing them, but I'm sure that he was labouring to breathe - I suspect that the infection has led to gill rot, as well as fin rot.

He was still alive when we left for the Panto (which was great by the way) at 17:00 today, but had finally expired when we returned just after midnight.

Dug a grave in the garden, and buried him near Loki - with the Police Helicopter hovering overhead, no doubt checking what I was up to ("I'm burying a body officer").

3 survivors left. The infection appears to have pretty well cleared up on Thor and Angraboda, and they look OK, however Fenrir has an infected spot that is gradually clearing. He isn't carrying his tail too well, although the trauma of a dead fish in the water may have been causing distress. I'll have to keep a close eye on them.

No comments: