Monday 8 January 2007

Depressing fish news.

Fenrir died yesterday afternoon. Buried him last night.

Angraboda looks a little better in quarantine, but still can't right himself. I suspect that the methylyne blue cure may just be prolonging the agony, rather than providing a cure.

Thor is starting to show the same symptoms as the rest of the fish - so it looks like I'm going to lose all of them.

I've tested the tank water and all Nitrate, Nitrite, Water Hardness and PH levels are showing as being OK. Perhaps they've just had too many cycles of various diseases and cure, that have taken them to the point of no return. I can't pin down what's killing them off. I've removed the plants from the tank - which may have been the initial source of the bacterial infection, since we planted new ones from a shop we hadn't used before a couple of months ago. Previous plants had all come from the same shop that we bought the fish from.

A financial thought - the fish cost about 2 quid each. I reckon I've spent about 3 or 400 quid on them, but then that's what you do with pets, the cost doesn't matter, it's the care that counts.

The thing about pets is that they teach you about life and death. Mainly death.

I suppose that we've had them for 2.5 years, which is a little longer than the average hamster.

No comments: