Friday 22 June 2007

Lift Shaft Fire

Driving to work this morning around 10:30 (I'm on the late shift) I saw a large cloud of black smoke billowing out of a building that's under construction for the Paradise Project. The building is just a lift shaft at the moment - a few storeys high.

The car in front of me pulled over, the chap driving jumped out, took a camera with a telephoto lens from his boot and started snapping. Either a well prepared opportunist or a reporter methinks.

Despite the thick black smoke there appeared to be at least 10 construction workers, nonchalently standing on the scaffolding/platform around the lift shaft that was ablaze, watching the progress of the fire.

I was slightly delayed, but from the news on the local radio it sounds like I just beat a temporary road closure when the fire brigade turned up.

No comments: