Thursday 17 May 2007

White Van Man

Hired a "transit" van today (oops! look at the time - yesterday) and took the wrapped and sealed roof panels that have been stashed in my back garden to the waste disposal facility in Huyton - I had a pre-arranged appointment for this, since the panels are cement-asbestos.

The blokes who were sitting around on the gate were extremely helpful. I think that one of them was trying to prove that he was fitter than a younger man. He said he was 58, and that too heavy was a state of mind. He helped me lift all of the roof panels and rubble sacks into the disposal container.

This took two trips. I finished off by taking a pile of wooden beams and old drainpipes to a more local tip at Otterspool - then a quick dash over to Frodo's school to pick him up.

Frodo was well pleased with his ride in the van. I couldn't help thinking that we were short of the old guy who sits at the window for the traditional "three men in a van" configuration.
(Middle aged chap driving, young lad in the middle, old boy by the window. If they see a hitchhiker they all stick their thumbs up at him and drive past).

2 comments:

cha0tic said...

Did you have a copy of "The Sun"? Another white van essential.

darkdwarf said...

I knew I'd forgotten something :) Mind you The Sun doesn't sell very well in Liverpool, so it's hard to get hold of a copy.