Saturday 3 November 2007

Goldfish 2

Goldfish 2 has been released.

I blogged about this software when I first discovered it, and used it to build a website.

The beauty of it is that it really is drag and drop - you don't have to know much at all about HTML.

The previous version was available for Mac, and was only a Beta Test version for Windows.

Goldfish 2 is now available for both Mac and Windows.

You can import sites that you created with Goldfish 1. I suspect however that in order to properly take advantage of the new features it might be better to build your website again from scratch. I did this with the Goldfish 1, to reconstruct a website that I'd already developed with another tool, and it didn't take too long.

Goldfish 1 had a lot of bugs with text boxes, especially when entering large volumes of text, such as novel excerpts (although this may have just been in the Windows Beta). Hopefully Goldfish 2 has ironed these out. Another reason to rebuild from scratch, rather than import, since the buggy text appears to get imported too.

Looks like you can't just use the Goldfish 1 license, and have to pay a fee to upgrade to Goldfish 2 (about 20 quid).

There's supposed to be some online documentation - but it doesn't seem to be ready yet.

The templates now look really good - you can now have template areas (e.g. header, footer, side column, navigation bar etc) as well as template pages.

Also they've taken on my suggestion and have implemented favicons (I had to figure out a workaround method to use them in Goldfish 1).

I'm going to fork out 20 notes and pay for the upgrade. I'll blog about this again when I've given Goldfish 2 a go and got a result.

No comments: