Monday 23 October 2006

Quality Time with Children

Novelist Supermum has blown some of her first sizeable royalty check on a Dana Alphasmart Wireless portable computing laptop alternative. (It's a palmOS based device with built in keyboard that a lot of writers and journalist use).

Whilst she was out on Friday with her writing buddies, I had a go at configuring the wireless connection. I managed to do it in an hour and a half, which must be some kind of record for me! I discovered that in fact I'd got the configuration right first time, but had forgotten to set the Wanadoo 'Livebox' wireless router into "pairing mode" before making my first connection.

All diy plans for the weekend went out of the window, as Grandma Gandalf wasn't available for baby-sitting.

Saturday morning I called the old friend, who gave me the stunning news a couple of weeks ago, and we've arranged a visit in a couple of weeks. We're going to take a Ferry 'cross the Mersey with her kids and ours for a trip to the Dr Who Up Close Exhibition at the Spaceport at Seacombe on the Wirral.

Took the hobbits for a bike ride in the park. No accidents this time - I've started to teach Frodo about the back brake, he knows how to squeeze the lever but hasn't quite got that this helps you to stop yet. He still wanted to try the hill that he crashed and burned on last time. I held the handlebar for him this time until he was almost at the bottom.

Frodo had another sports party in the afternoon. He played indoor hockey and football. At the age of 5 or 6 this is a mob of children chasing a ball - no concept of passing so I was impressed that Frodo managed to get a quite a few swipes and kicks of the ball in - since the odds were against him.

Sunday morning took the hobbits Aztec themed Children's Play Area at Grandma's - Adventures in the Lost Kingdom in order to wear them out, as it's half term next week. This worked, with the side effect of wearing me out too, chasing after them to make sure that they were playing safely, and stopping them so they could get a drink.

No comments: