Monday 30 October 2006

Clock Change and Hallowe'en Vegetables.

My Uncle, who is a farmer, used to say "They change the clocks, but nobody tells The Beast" - Meaning that the cows don't realise that they've turned up an hour early to be fed.

Similarly nobody tells the children. It was a long day for Frodo and Samwise on Sunday.

Took them to the Aztec themed Children's Play Area again. Samwise was feeling a bit under the weather, which he demonstrated by throwing up just after he got in the car. Luckily my jacket and his car seat cover caught most of it before I whipped him out of the car, so both of these were washed and the car doesn't smell any worse than usual.

It's Hallowe'en tomorrow, so I bought a pumpkin from ASDA. My attempts to carve Scooby Doo's face on this hollowed out gourd have resulted in a truly evil effigy that bears little resemblance to the talking Great Dane. Should keep the nasty spirits away tomorrow night.

I've been using pumpkins for a few years now, rather than the turnips (or "bagies") that we used in my youth (Southerners would call these "Swedes"). Turnips are really tough to hollow out and carve so this always resulted in colourful language and bleeding fingers, whereas pumpkins are fairly soft and quicker and easier to scoop out and carve.

I've just Googled "Turnip or Swede" and came up with the Swedish word "Rutabaga". I wonder if this where the Northumbrian / North East word "Bagies" comes from?

No comments: