Sunday 16 December 2007

Working Weekend

What a weekend! I'm on call this week. I've been called out on both Saturday and Sunday morning, one a minor problem, the other a false alarm.

In addition I had to carry out a code release on Saturday night, which would have normally been an early shoot, but one of the servers went a bit wobbly, so we had to bounce it. 4 or 5 hours work became 7 hours.

To finish off I'm in again on Sunday night for another release, followed by some catchup patching.

Managed to squeeze in a little Xmas shopping in between the work, and was up to 3am on Friday night applying Xmas Wrap, Bubble Wrap and Brown Paper to presents, to create parcels ready for posting on Saturday morning.

I was going to finish off the Xmas cards this morning, but after being called in it's going to be the usual late night frantic scribbling on Monday night to get them in the post early enough. As usual I've probably managed to miss the last posting date for anything going abroad - New Year Greetings it is again then!

Every year I contemplate why I do this. I heard a program on Radio 4 proposing that we should all just cross those people off the list who have become "Christmas card list friends". I'm not going to do that, it's still a way of keeping in touch, however small the gesture.

I also like the idea that even if you haven't paid them the slightest bit of attention for another year, then for that minute or so whilst you write the card you are actually thinking of them.

Here's to all my friends, no matter how little I see them!

No comments: