Friday 1 January 2010

Happy New Year! Happy New Decade!

Ended up doing a 13.5 hour overnight shift at work yesterday - with the result that I got the day off work today - which once I'd caught up on lost sleep makes a relaxing New Year's Eve. I've booked the first week of January off work - so I get a break after the mayhem of the festive season.

2010 arrived, as most years do. The neighbours were doing "Auld Lang Syne" in the street, but far too cold to stay out there, so as ever we're in watching Jools Holland's Hootenanny.

There's usually something on this music wise that attracts my attention, and requires further investigation. Past years have introduced me to the likes of The Ukelele Orchestra of Great Britain, and Seasick Steve.

This year it's a latin acoustic guitar duo Rodrigo y Gabriela playing Buster Voodoo. They've miked up their instruments, and piped them through a few effects pedals - predominantly a Wah Wah, resulting in something that sounds like a Mexican version of one of the Starsky and Hutch themes. Something new for my souped up i-pod.

I've also just seen Dizzy Rascal rapping to "Smells Like Teen Spirit", and Florence and the Machine covering Nina Simone's "My Baby Don't Care".

Kasabian are on again now, with a bunch of "violin babes" backing them - blokes aren't allowed to play bowed instruments unless they're in an orchestra or a folk group :)

Oh no, they've all got together to form an all star "supergroup", singing "Down by the Riverside" for the finale - these things just never work!

No comments: