Friday 20 May 2011

RUSH - Manchester MEN Arena 19 May 2011

Drove through the Rush hour (literally) to see RUSH at the MEN Arena yesterday.
An excellent performance.
Geddy Lee said that they had brought too much music with them - with the Time Machine theme of whizzing around the years they treated us to a fine sample of their extensive back catalogue. Most of my favourites were covered, and it was great to hear the Moving Pictures album in it's entirety.
The future wasn't neglected either, with a yet to be released number and, of course, something from 2112.
Alex Lifeson's and Geddy Lee were on top form. I even enjoyed the inevitable Neal Peart drum solo - which was more musical than I've heard before.
The steampunk themed set and lighting rig was an entertainment in itself.
Lots of humour on the video screen and in jokes from the Road Crew on the stage - I'll not write any spoilers for anybody going to see it elsewhere, other than I kind of wish that I could afford a RASH T-shirt, as well as the one that I bought :)
As for the fans - mostly around my age or older, mostly blokes ("7 females at a RUSH concert, must be some kind of record"), all out to enjoy themselves, whether that meant watching the entire gig on a mobile phone screen (it's all over youtube today) or joining in the Prog Rock singalongs. RUSH colours were worn with pride. I spotted several people squeezed into the T-shirt they had bought when they were 15. There was also one chap who turned up dressed in a dalmation costume! (in tribute to the Signals album cover).
No support act, and a short interval - almost 3 hours of sheer joy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great gig, I agree. Fair comments on how it was staged. The crow were much more vocal than last time they played. Glad you had a good time.

Fellow Rush old git

Anonymous said...

Want to buy a dalmation suit? One owner. Used once.