Saturday 2 April 2011

Liverpool Discovers - End of the Trail

I've completed my Liverpool Discovers trail - i.e. visited and photographed all of the works in this public art exhibition. OK so I didn't see Kelda the giant Viking lady puppet, nor did I see "Where Stars are Made", but these are Wirral and St Helens Discovers.

They've extended the exhibition until the 8th May - although a couple of the works will be removed, and some resited.

I've posted my set of photos on flickr at http://www.flickr.com/photos/darkdwarf/sets/72157626137837038/, as well as in various posts on this blog.

This was a great exercise for getting to grips with my new camera, and I've learnt a lot as I legged out of work at lunchtimes to take the shots.

I thought that this was going to be a bit of a solarity experience, but far from it. I've found that some people seem to feel the need to come up and ask questions about what you're taking pictures of. Some wanted to know what the artwork was all about. Perhaps they're thinking that because you've got a camera and tripod then you must be some sort of authority on the subject? Some were also doing the trail and wanted to chat about it, so I had a few pleasant conversations.
I kept bumping into two ladies on different parts of the trail - so showed them a few of the photos. A traffic warden hovered around me as I took the Mary Bamber photos, then proceeded to tell me what he knew about her. In the Bluecoat a chap passed me a card inviting me to become a founder member of a photography forum. (www.greentailmonkey.com if anyone's interested).

Another reaction to having a camera set up on a tripod is the way that some people will duck as they go past it - there's no need as I'm quite happy to wait for them to pass, and I'm operating the shutter with a remote switch. Of course there are those who just shove right in the way, as if you've somehow infringed on their right to view the artwork. Then there's the one's who seem to want to be in the picture, and will linger around, trying to be in the background, or walking into the picture when they think you're taking the shot.
In all cases it's just best to be polite, saying thanks to those who duck and scurry past, quietly wait for others to finish looking, gritting your teeth and waiting for the lingerers to get out of the way.

The advice in my photography book is simply to beat them to death with my tripod!

No comments: