Tuesday 24 April 2007

Annual Appraisal and Pay Rise

It's that appraisal / pay-rise time of year again.

Had the appraisal meeting with my boss first thing this morning, where he went through my contribution to the team, progress against objectives, strength's and weaknesses, communications yada yada yada yada...

On the whole the appraisal was good, with mostly positive feedback. I was only partially listening towards the end.
This was mainly because he was reading from an appraisal form. Written in biro on the back sheet, facing me, was my current salary plus an additional figure.

This of course was the info that I really wanted to know i.e. my pay rise for this year.

As usual the appraisal itself has little to do with how they carve up the cash. I'm convinced they set this during budgeting at the start of the year and stick with it. So much for perfomance related pay and meritocracy!

Got a better rise than most that I know of, but not the greatest increase I've ever had.

1 comment:

impwork said...

Glad you got through it without any trauma. I was talking to a coder the other day who is having an interesting time after his employer streamlined their appraisal process by lumping small groups into bigger groups. The IT department has been lumped into clerical/managerial. Since they don't see clients they were all marked down as underperformers and had 1-2K sallery cuts. The entire department are either appealing the decision, retiring early or looking for new jobs. I wonder if the HR person who streamlined the system to make their life easier will think it was such a good idea when there is no IT staff to fix their PC?