Thursday 8 February 2007

Goldfish Rocks!

Almost exactly a month ago I blogged about a website design/editing/generating/publishing software tool that I had discovered - Goldfish by Fishbeam

I've been working on re-engineering Novelist Supermum's website using this software. The idea is that when I've finished she can use the software to edit and update the site herself - and she doesn't need to know much at all about HTML, XHTML, CSS, W3C etc to do this.

At the moment the software is only available for Windows as a Beta Test version (the earlier versions were for Apple Mac only) which means that I've come across a few bugs.

These were mainly in the correct rendition of text boxes in the WYSIWYG editor i.e. the rendition of the text layout sometimes screws up in the editor, although it's fine when viewed in the browser. Also in some yet to be determined circumstances you lose a hypertext link after editing it, and for some reason you have to destroy the text box and recreate it to cure the problem. This may be related to the text layout problem. I'm going to report this as bugs.

The generated code is supposed to be W3C compliant. I've found some bugs in the generation that means that it isn't, although it's pretty close. I also found a way of implementing a favicon (which isn't supported), and I have no choice but to include this code in the wrong place.

On the whole though it does what we want i.e. allow a non-geek to design a website, and generate and publish it straight from the design.

I think that the results are acceptable. I've released the site early (with one page outstanding to complete, and a single broken link) since we're off to Rome next week (Tax deductible research for a professional Romantic Fiction writer!), and an Ebook Challenge needs to be online before Valentines day.

Should be even better when they fix the bugs.

Anyway enough rambling - here's the new(ish) look website - www.romancefiction.co.uk