Friday 7 September 2007

Tuna Fish Pitta Bread Pizzas

A favourite quick and easy recipe from my Student Days:
(I believe that cha0tic introduced me to this one)

Tuna Fish Pitta Bread Pizzas

Weights, Measures and Cooking Terminology are according to darkwarf standards i.e. "about that much (according to taste and previous experimentation)"

Ingredients
Pitta Breads - usually comes in packs of 6, so make 6!
Tomato Puree - 1 tube, or a small can.
Cheese - 1 chunk of - Cheddar usually works OK, but have been known to use Red Leicester)
Spring Onions - small bunch
1 or 2 cans of Tuna - 1 can gives a measly topping unless you bulk it up with cheese, 2 cans will give a fairly loaded topping.

Prepare the topping
Chop up a few spring onions
Open up 1 or 2 cans of Tuna
Grate some cheese - quantity roughly equal, or slightly more than the amount of Tuna you have used.

Drop all of the above into a bowl and mix together.

Prepare the Pizza bases
Spread Tomato Puree on each Pitta Bread. Thickly or Thinly according to taste.

Prepare the Pizzas
Dollop and spread the mixture onto each Pitta Bread.
Grill for about 5 minutes or so until the Cheese has melted and the Pitta breads have just begun to toast, but without burning.

Yummy Tuna Fish Pizzas! - Enjoy.

I seem to recall that the original recipe involved making a small dent in the mixture on each Pizza and a raw egg was cracked open and dropped into the dent before grilling. I always found this a little excessive and too tricky anyway to get the egg to cook properly without burning the pizza.

I made this last Thursday for tea, and got the boys to help me prepare the mixture.

Frodo enjoyed the stirring, although much of it left the bowl during the process.

I gave Samwise the task of grating the cheese. He really enjoyed doing this, and proved to be "a chip off the old block" when I caught him "just tasting" the cheese in his hand part way through.

Frodo needless to say licked the spoon that he was stirring with - managed to get it off him before he put it back in the bowl.

2 comments:

impwork said...

Sounds like a quick and tasty pizza and that you had a lot of fun with the boys making them :-)

I was wondering what to post on my blog tonight - I think I'll post my Soda bread pizza recipe now :-)

darkdwarf said...

I've just checked your recipe out.

One to try next time I think - I liked the idea of the "lazy garlic" as well as the Tomato Puree.