Saturday 15 September 2007

Homework

Frodo got his first ever set of homework to do this weekend.

3 tasks to do. Ten spellings to copy and practice for a test next week, a food diary for one day over the weekend and a self addressed envelope to write (and provide a stamp for).

He's only six for goodness sake! What is the world coming to? The first time I did homework was when I was 11 or 12. I think that there's too much emphasis on exams and results and not enough on just learning at your own pace.

Plus with his learning difficulty he can barely write his own name. What has happened to the so-called individual learning plan that they were supposed to be doing for him?

We'll just have to give it a go, and let the teacher know how he gets on.

2 comments:

impwork said...

I was that age when I had to do my first homework (learn 10 spellings and I was never any good at that). Starting with 3 things in a weekend seems a bit much. Not having thought it through and not having tailored it to his learning plan just seems sloppy.

darkdwarf said...

We did the food diary, and helped Frodo have some visual aids with this by sticking in packet labels as well as providing a description of the food that he ate on Sunday.

We helped him write the spellings into his spelling book, and also let him have a go by himself, but he's still not really up to writing yet - let alone spelling.

We found a used envelope with his name on that hadn't been shredded for recycling and helped him write the self addressed envelope.

The teacher's instructions spelled the word "envelop" twice! Corrected this, but had to restrain myself from adding "See me". :-)